Thursday 28 July 2011

The summer of good intentions: part 1

As a teacher and craftsperson the Summer holidays seem like a glorious expanse of time in which to just make and do.  Last year my garden looked lovely, I sat in it and drank tea, made bits and pieces, and generally felt quite content.  The problem is that I haven't been feeling so glorious recently and contentment has been seeping away gradually over the year. What's more Miss Bertie will be leaving her Little Worcester House in November which is a long way off but so close too.  Many things have changed and decisions have to be made; lots of thinking, talking and consuming of tea has taken place, and so the summer of good intentions has begun.

Making and doing: Losing one's making and doing mojo is not a nice thing, especially as your abilities can diminish making a return to it quite demoralising.  So, the most important part of the summer is to ensure I make something every day even if it doesn't come out well.  Finishing some of the things I've started would also help but let's not dwell on that.  One step at a time.

Deciding what I like: Classic, high brow film 'Runaway Bride' has Julia Roberts trying different ways of cooking eggs to decide which she likes as she has spent so long eating them the way her boyfriend at the time has them.  I'm ashamed to say that I am like that and as a result I don't actually know what I like. Seriously, I really don't and as a result I have books, cds, films and clothes that are like elephants in my wardrobes, shelves and often boxes under the bed.  This leads onto...

The Big Sort Out: The steady stream of random boxes of stuff being returned to me from my various previous abodes and phases has subsided.  I have a huge amount of stuff.  The idea of moving all of this anywhere is daunting and if it wasn't illegal (and a very bad idea really) I would be tempted to set fire to the house and my belongings, and begin again as an unencumbered free spirit.  However, this is my mess and I should tidy it up.
Another aspect of this is that I'm naturally a little shy and to overcome this have become chameleon like in order to fit in.   I have looked through some of the boxes and wondered in dismay at what possessed me to want to acquire such things.  The task is huge but luckily Little Sister Fanny has offered her ruthless sorting services for a few days and we're going to go through it all, getting rid of the old, to make way for the new.

So, that's it.  The summer of good intentions.  Let it begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment