Sunday 5 June 2011

The wedding outfit.

Wedding invitations are beginning to arrive more regularly.  It's that time of life when my peers are making big commitments.  Having a sedate social life which requires disappointingly few opportunities to dress up makes these events all the more exciting.  You'd think with months to prepare I would have planned, bought or made everything well in advance.  This is never the case.  I am the Queen of the last minute; if buttons were sewn on and hems in place before leaving I would be certain that something was wrong.  As far as I'm concerned the lighting for putting on make up is best in a taxi, bus, passenger seat, reflection of a shop or car window near to the venue; mascara and eyeliner should be applied at traffic lights, and nail varnish goes on quite well over speed bumps.
So, to the outfit. Not content with my already heavy workload or stress levels I decided to make a jumpsuit without a pattern and combining 2 parts of different outfits from patterns in 2 sizes.  Why make things easy when you can over complicate to the max?

Flaired palazzo pants with the top half of a dress.
Cutting it short, it all worked out.




The jumpsuit complete, I bought  hideously naff jacket from  charity shop, shortened it, made some matching buttons, and sewed in some of the jumpsuit fabric inside the cuff to tie it all together.  




As I've said, time management is not my strong point.  The jacket was altered and buttons made on the train from Worcester to Dorset on the morning of the wedding, the button corsage broach was made in my tent 20 minutes before we left for the church, and hair and make up was done in the back of the car.  No obliging shop windows meant I didn't actually see the outfit on in it's entirety until I got home.  Lucky, very lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment