Sunday 12 June 2011

Will hotwater bottles make me a millionaire?

I have been hoarding materials, scraps of fabric, buttons, beads and other such haberdashery delights for many years.  I'm like a magpie and can't bear to throw anything away, but even I have realised that unless I either stop collecting stuff or do something with it I'm going to hoard myself into a corner, be found smothered to death by a toppled tower of beautiful fabrics; or turn into a dusty, vintage clad Miss Haversham-type character wandering amongst islands of unfinished creativity, blindly touching the precious things and muttering memories of my unrealised intentions, whilst living in abject poverty and squalor.
Being slightly low on funds at important times such as Christmas and birthdays I've always made things and part of my defence for continuing to hoard is that anything can be created in an emergency.  This Christmas I bought two half-size hotwater bottles from Poundland and made covers for them from some beautiful, accidentally felted cashmere jumpers that had been given to me (do donations count as part of my hoard?)




I was so pleased with these that I immediately went out and bought 15 more hotwater bottles, and more whenever I saw them, with great plans to become a hotwater bottle millionaire by Christmas 2011.  They have resided in a cardboard box underneath a pile of fabric for the past 4 months.  However, the New Plan involves making things to make me happy, which will hopefully also make some money, and these are my first step.  I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment